As homeowners, we often feel an undeniable pull toward DIY projects. They’re budget-friendly and offer a sense of accomplishment. When it comes to attic insulation, you might be tempted to take the same route. But is that wise? Can you install it yourself?
It is true that you can, but perhaps you shouldn’t. While it may initially seem like an easy way to save money, DIY jobs often have more drawbacks than benefits. Here’s why you might want to let a professional insulation company handle this instead.
Can you install attic insulation yourself?
Consider these before embarking on the task all by yourself:
1. Overlooking other problems
Consider your attic as a complex ecosystem, where insulation is only a piece of the puzzle. Qualified experts will not only install insulation, but will also check for other potential attic issues like leaks, mold, or pest infestations. In a DIY scenario, you might miss these ‘red flags’, leading to compromised insulation performance and escalating issues down the line.
2. A lack of insulation caused by stored items
Your attic may be a storage haven for those rarely-used items or sentimental keepsakes. You may not know that these obstructions can make it difficult to properly insulate the entire floor, or some other attic area.
However, professionals know how to navigate around these obstacles, ensuring every nook and cranny is taken care of.
3. Handling ventilation needs
While insulation keeps your home cozy, ventilation makes sure it doesn’t become stuffy. Balancing these two can be tricky—not too easy for a DIYer. Top pros have the knowledge and skills to ensure adequate ventilation while installing insulation, ensuring a comfortable attic climate.
4. Risk of failed home inspections
Imagine putting in hours of hard work, only to have it flagged during a home inspection or for violating zoning laws. It’s like baking a cake only to see it collapse! Professional insulation installers are well-versed in building codes and standards, reducing the risk of failures or violations during inspection.
5. Common DIY mistakes
For a job like this, it’s easy to underestimate the level of expertise required. DIY often leads to common mistakes such as choosing the wrong insulation type, or insufficient coverage. These mistakes can impact insulation efficiency, leading to higher home temperatures and higher energy bills.
What happens if I don’t properly insulate my attic?
Keeping your attic uninsulated is like leaving a window wide open, allowing heat to escape during winter and infiltrate your home during summer. Here’s what can happen:
- Increased energy bills: Poor insulation allows heat to escape during colder months and enter during warmer months, causing your heating or cooling systems to work overtime. This results in higher energy consumption and uncomfortable living conditions.
- Mold and moisture issues: Lack of proper insulation can lead to condensation buildup in the attic, creating a perfect environment for mold growth. This can potentially damage the structure of your home and cause health problems.
- Damage to the roof: In winter, the lack of insulation in your attic can cause snow to melt. As the melted snow refreezes, ice dams form, causing significant damage to your roof and gutters.
Where can I find a reliable insulation company in Mount Laurel & the area?
Do you find yourself tossing and turning at night, wondering about threats lurking in your air ducts, or if your home is adequately insulated for the summer? Or perhaps you want to reduce the carbon footprint of your home? Fret not, Allied Experts are here to bring peace of mind!
We are not just any team, but a seasoned crew with countless insulation projects under our belt. Imagine us as your ‘home comfort doctors’, diagnosing and treating issues that leave you uneasy. Insulation isn’t our only area of expertise; we’re also experts in heating, cooling, and plumbing. No matter if you live near The Funplex or elsewhere in the area, we’ll make your home a cocoon of comfort!